Friday, July 8, 2011

Farewell Atlantis

Today at 5 AM I filled my thermoses with coffee and drove over to Cocoa Beach to watch the last flight of the shuttle Atlantis. I thought I would run into a lot more traffic than I did but I was pleasantly surprised there really wasn't that much. After finding a good spot to watch the shuttle go up I begin to drink my coffee and wait for the 1126 liftoff. There was estimated to be around 1 million people at this event. As far as the eye could see on 528 W. was a sea of automobiles also waiting for the great moment. I have never been to a launch and truly enjoyed it this was a great site to see. It made you have great pride for our country. I was also a little sad that this would be the last launch. Now we will have to depend on Russian to put us into space at an astronomical price. I think NASA could've come up with a better plan than this we are the only superpower left in the world and should not have to depend on any country for anything. A lot of good people are being laid off from their jobs now due to this decision that is the last thing we need in this economy.

So as of today we really don't have a space program anymore we are just part of the Russian program this is a sad day for the men who were pioneers in conquering outer space and for the United States of America.

No comments: